Wednesday, August 25, 2010

To Gain 14 Pounds: Drink Coke

People often ask me what the best way is to lose weight.  This is a very complex question because each person is different.  I always ask what a person's typical diet consists of because this is the best way for me to find a meal plan that will work best for each person.  Inevitably, I always find at least one thing that a person eats or drinks on a regular basis that is a total deal-breaker for weight loss and the most common thing is Coca-Cola.

In my opinion, Coke is by far the absolute best carbonated drink on the market, and always has been.  If I'm going to drink a soft drink, I'll always choose Coke.  Lots of people refer to soft drinks as "Cokes".  It is well understood that Coke can literally mean Coke, but it can also be a general term for any soft drink.  My point is that in the world of sodas, Coke is king.

Now, with that said, Coke seems to be the one thing that is hardest for people to cut out of their diets.  Well, I was thinking about this problem and I have a way to convince people to drink water or tea instead.  Here it goes (and this is the best I've got when it comes to this subject).

1 - 12 oz can of Coke has 140 calories.
If a person drinks 1 can per day, that's 980 calories per week.
In 52 weeks (1 year), this is 50,960 calories from Coca-Cola.
There are 3,500 calories in a pound, so. . .
50,960 annual Coke calories divided by 3,500 calories = 14.56 pounds per year.

What's worse?  If you drink JUST 1 Coke per day, the first 15 minutes of cardio that you do that day will only burn off that can of Coke.  That's your caloric break-even point.  After 15 minutes, your workout will officially begin.  Yea for you!

Sure, you can cut out lots of things to lose 140 calories per day - I know.  The point here is that you're putting yourself at a serious disadvantage from the very start if you continue to drink your carbonated beverages.  So instead, when you REALLY want to do EVERYTHING that it takes to drop serious pounds, first drop the can.

No comments:

Post a Comment